Friday, October 19, 2007

Socrates to the Rainbowbridge

p called me at about 2:20. He'd taken Socrates to the vet. Despite the many doses and two different kinds of antibiotics he is not getting better. He has a third abscess starting on his cheek and the other one has not even begun to drain - except perhaps through his ear. So, the vet felt, as do we, that it is only cruel to keep prolonging the pain. p said that even today it's gotten worse as anytime Socrates is touched he squeeks. Rats never squeek except under extreme duress.
I can't bear it. The poor little mite never harmed anyone. He's never once bitten anyone except his brother and that was in rough and tumble play. But even when we hurt him (to try and make him better) he never bit us. He would just squirm and lick and lick and kiss to try and make us stop.
What's even worse is I can't be there to say good-bye. I asked p to give him kisses for me. But I feel awful for p being there alone and having to drive back by himself with the little body. And I know he's crying.
Please please forgive us Socrates for any of the pain we've put you through. We love you very much and always will. Thank you for the time you have graced our lives with.

2 comments:

Canada said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. You haven't been having a great time with the loft-critters. (((hugs)))

serenity017 said...

How little I can say to ease the pain.... he knew he was loved... I am sure that is true.

I am sure he is scampering with his brother this very minute...

love
S