Monday, January 19, 2009

Favourite Author - Charles de Lint


First of all - yea to mobile blogging. It does work (see my previous post).

I just finished reading Little (Grrl) Lost by Charles de Lint. He is such an amazing story teller. By far one of my most favourite writers. He draws you into his world and his characters. I always leave wishing I lived in his world. Hoping that it is all real ans it is only because I don't have the right vision that I can't see the Crow Girls or Raven or the hobs or Littles. The very first book I read by him was Moonheart - which I think I may have actually bought for Dad. It's set in Ottawa about a house that straddles worlds called Tamsin House. I thought for the longest time that if I went looking I might get lucky and stumble upon one of it's many doorways. His magic, to me that's what it is, leaves me with such a sense of longing and wistfulness. P says I could get there if I only knew how.
I worked for five years, both part and full-time for CIBC and one of the other tellers had the same last name. I finally asked one day and she said he was some sort of cousin vy marriage. That six degrees of separation again! Mind you, I subscribe to his newslette, and he is very generous about responding to emails so I've had a couple of short correspondences with him, and I asked hi. About the relationship. He responded that he didn't really know or something to that effect. So much for six degrees!
But anyway when I purchased Little (Grrl) Lost I also picked up Dingo which was written last year and is a hardcover first edition. Woo-hoo! And I am so looking forward to reading it. Even more then the second installment in Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. To me, that is candy, whereas the de Lint books satisfy a need deep in my soul. He calls out to something deep within me - I always feel it stirring when I read his stories.
Another wonderful thing about him is that he and his wife are accomplished musicians and one of these days I would like to go to Ottawa or somewhere to hear them play. Maybe even jam with them! (Are you listening Canada?)
Soon and very soon.

No comments: