Sunday, June 21, 2009

Koalas in 2009 Australian Heatwave

I pulled this from an email sent to me by PH and verified its accuracy. No more Mashables for me! So I can be reasonably confident that this happened!!

Note: I am having difficulties with posting pictures. So they are not all there as far as I tell. Will have to fix later when I have more energy... what a pain.

KOALAS DURING THE HEAT WAVE IN AUSTRALIA (2009)

Australia has had a record heat wave with devastating fires as a result. Koalas if you don't know are not social and don't come out of trees or down to the suburbs very often. But the main thing is that they don't actually drink water normally at any time.
All their food and water source is provided from the eucalyptus leaves that they eat.

That's why they sleep about 22 hours of the day because the calories and liquid intake is not enough to keep them awake long enough, but they consume enormous amounts of leaves in that time. The following photos are even more amazing once that fact is known.


From the first four pictures:






Posted by Picasa


The pictures that follow the first four were first in the original email I recieved. I suppose order doesn't matter so much in this case as does the sheer wonderfulness of these pictures! I just had to share.

No comments: