Friday, October 12, 2007

Licorice

Licorice went to see Dr. P today to have his teeth trimmed. Yesterday when Dr. P saw him he said his teeth have pushed in further then before. He suspects it might be a bone infection - which is really hard to treat and clear up.

Or, even worse, it might be a bone tumour.

Why Licorice? He is the sweetest guinea pig - so full of personality. I helped Widget give birth to him - which p said astonished Dr. P as apparently he's never heard of any of his slaves with gp's witnessing a birth. Licorice is fearless - the bunnies and silly don't phase him at all and he will willingly explore anywhere in the house where the other gps huddle and make messes on the floor out of nerves. We call him Mr. Klicky-Toes because of the sound he makes running around on the hardwood floors and the kitchen laminate.

I named him Licorice because of his colours. He is black and orange - it reminded me of Tiger-tail ice cream, so Licorice it was.

The very first time Licorice went to the vet they were so charmed by him that they asked us where we got him from.

p is going to pick Licorice up in about an hour. He came through the surgery (they had to put him out to trim his molars) and is groggy at the moment. This morning after trying to get some Critical Care (CC) into him i held a handful of rolled oats (the porridge making kind - not instant but not the hour long boiling ones either) and he ate them from my hand. p seems to think that Licorice eats more when I am around. I've spent lots of time feeding him blades of grass one by one. Just to get some fibre into him.

I so love that little guy. It really burns me that he out of all of the gps is the one having the problems. I love them all, but he really holds a special place in my heart. Just like Widget who was my therapy piggie. She died early too. I just don't get it. It makes you want to rage and scream at the powers that be - animals are innocent. Why do they have to have illnesses and suffer.
And then there is Socrates. Which I can't bear to think about how much he is going through yet is still sweet natured and has never once bitten either of us despite the nasty antibiotics we've had to force down him. He does scream which makes both of us feel two inches tall. He's now on his fourth or fifth cyst/abcess. He smells bad all the time because of the necrolyzing junk in the cyst. This one is right on his right cheek. And on top of that he has had a nasty ear infection and is only just healing from the cyst on his belly.
I just can't stand it.

2 comments:

Canada said...

Oooh, the poor little guy. I hope he's on the mend.
(((Licorice)))

And (((Socrates))), too

serenity017 said...

Hi K

I feel like there is so very little I can say to console you both... rage and scream and cry at the injustice of it all for such lovely creatures. Why do they have to suffer so? I wish I knew how to make it better.
You and P are doing all you can to help... I KNOW that Socrates realizes you are helping him, but being mean & cruel. I belive he (and all your guys) know that you love and cherish them.. and even with all the nasty drugs you have to force him to take, he knows it is to help... perhaps that is why he does not bite. Maybe you can try to look at it that way...? hard as it is.

For my part, O.C. has been missing for weeks and weeks now. I hold a special place in my heart for him as well.. even tho I should not pick a favourite pet. Basically, I do not think about it... otherwise I would just spend my day crying. I hope he comes home. Because I have looked for him and cannot find him

Love and hugs

S