Monday, May 04, 2009

The Joys of Low PFTs

So here I am. On the 14A ward at PMH. Spent last night at TGH emergency. Lungs got so bad yesterday had to do something.

A week ago Friday I saw Dr. C and my PFTs were so bad that he scheduled a bronchoscopy for the Monday so he could figure out what we are dealing with before he committed to a treatment. Went back to work Thursday , Friday had to stay home. Couldn't get hold of Dr. C and his admin suggested I try Dr. L who said yes come. I explained what had been happening and he said well I can't leave you without anything at this point. he consulted with the infectious diseases person here who works with immune compromised patients. Because one result from the bronc came back positive for a viral flu - no not the N1H1 variety but at that point they didn't know which one it was other then not swine flu - it was suggested that he prescribe Relazon which is for viral influenzas.

Of course there was most a hitch. Got down to the pharmacy to discover they didn't have any in stock and nor did the other pharmacy that we called. Called the inpatient pharmacy and yes they had some but they were reluctant about parting with any. Plus it turns out that because of the current status of N1H1 pharmacies can't directly order the drug - the ON government has the say in divvying it put. the long and the short - they did give me the first half of the dose.

So I started the puffer on Friday night. By Sunday I was sicker and sicker. To the point that finally P and I looked at each other and said - okay we have to do something. I was sitting in a chair at my computer and not able to breath.

We called the oncall nurse here at PMH who was a little concerned that we wanted to come into TGH emergency because she could hear I was in distress with my breathing as well as emotionally. The long and short was I did not want to go to emergency in Hamilton because we have just not been having good experiences with either Mac or HGH. I could have gone to urgent care at St. Joe's in Stoney Creek but I didn't want to be admitted in Hamilton. It just doesn't make sense - they don't know what to do with me. So we drove to TGH.

We arrived at 7:05 pm. Before 8 pm I was triaged, in a room with the door shut for isolation purposes and on oxygen. By 10 pm they had done an x-ray and bloodwork/blood cultures. P finally left at 2 am - he was so sick. I was so very worried about him having to drive home alone back to Hamilton but what could we do? The animals needed someone and while yes there were any number of people that would have put him up it was better that he go home. The doctor, when he came in, said we are just waiting to see where we have a bed for you. Fortunately, in the morning when they came back it was at PMH. Thank God. And even more fortuitiously, on the 14th floor. So while not in the transplant ward I am across the way and Dr. Loach has been coming in to see me except for the weekend. (I started this post on May 5th and am continuing it May 10th)

So the long and short is that I have a para-influenza virus. The only treatment is rest and in my case oxygen, steroid inhalers and stuff to deal with the coughing fits. I've been here Monday morning till now, Sunday night. Lots of visitors - I am so grateful. It keeps my spirits up. Malcolm and Stella, Barbara and Christine, Becca and Emma, Sue, Nancy, Sherman and Jim. I've probably forgotten someone. And of course my Mum and Dad who have been absolute troupers. Thank god for parents. I just wish my mother's day present wasn't a day at the hospital...

So, we are waiting to do a CT scan and beyond that I don't know what is happening.

I figured I should finish this post though because I realized I left some things out in my next post. And I've probably still missed things.

No comments: