Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Taking Medications & Status Update

I am having to sit up for an hour as I just took my Actonel. The pharmacist, shortly, upon my arrival here, informed me that I've been taking the Actonel incorrectly. It has to be taken on an empty stomach, I have to be sitting up for at least 1/2 hour preferably a full hour, and drink lots of water with it. Boy am I glad I only take this particular pill once a week. And of course I can't have any calcium at the same time.

Then she later proceeds to tell me that I'm not taking my calcium in an optimum manner. Because I'm on mega doses it needs to be split up through the day to allow the body to absorb it. In case you are wondering what mega doses of calcium are it's 2000+ mg of calcium daily.

Last night I started the voriconazole which is an anti-fungal drug. Dr. Loach said that the CT scan I had done yesterday shows the nodules on my lungs have gotten a littler bigger. These are the nodules that appeared when I relapsed in 2000 that they were unable to get a biopsy of. The CT scan also was still "hazy" meaning I guess that there is still a lot of congestion. He said I would be here until next week at least - they will do another CT scan at that point. They are not sure that I have a fungal infection - but they are not sure what the deal is with the nodules. So Dr. Loach said they would rather overtreat which is why they've started the voriconazole.

At some point they will want to do another bronchosopy to try biopsying the nodes again. However, for the same reason Dr. Chan couldn't fully sedate me last Monday for the bronchosopy he did they will wait because the risk factors with my lungs in such poor shape is too high.

I am having a really hard time staying alert/awake while writing this. Granted it is 7:14 an and I normally would be on a GO train napping on my way into work. But it's a little frustrating to suddenly find myself staring out into space or worse my eyes closed!

It looks like p can come and visit today. I am so looking forward to that. Haven't seen him since he left me at emergency because he's been too sick. So awful that noone there to take care of him.

Leg wound is doing well. And might even start healing a little faster as they dropped the prednisone back to 25 mg. Dr. Chan had increased it before the bronchosopy to try and give some lung function back.

1 comment:

Canada said...

I really, really wish I lived closer so I could come and visit!!! Maybe I will try calling this eve (before flute rehearsal). I think that you and the month of May have some issues to work out!!!! Sending lots of hugs and healing thoughts your way.xo